• Meditation creates a unique hypo metabolic state, in which the metabolism is in an even deeper state of rest than during sleep.
• During sleep, oxygen consumption drops by 8 percent, but during meditation, it drops by 10 to 20 percent.
• Meditation is the only activity that reduces blood lactate, a marker of stress and anxiety.
Some of the achievements of meditation are :
• Enhanced memory
• Muscular relaxation
• Mental equipoise
• Inner calmness
• Increased awareness
• Cheerfulness all the time
• Disappearance of jealousy – lust and other vices
• Behavioural modification
The Effect of Recitation of Mantra with Meditation :
According to the science of acoustics, the patterns of sound waves produced by each of the twenty-four letters of the Gayatri Mantra are very special and their combined effect is a source of immense energy.
Significantly, the nerves connected with the components of vocal cord, tongue, palate and fingers used in the japa have more than 60 % representation in the cerebral cortex. The bioelectrical currents generated by the excitation of the nerve cells complete one “neuronal cycle” per recitation and activate the brain with fresh energy.